The Oliver Osoyoos Branch of the Okanagan Historical Society invites the public, to a plaque dedication ceremony at the Fairview Kiosk site on Sunday, May 4th at 2:30. There will be cake and coffee served. It is located near the intersection of Fairview and Willowbrook Roads, and has wonderful views to the South and East.
The plaque acknowledges the contributions of Isabel (Buddie) and Carleton MacNaughton in preserving local history and the sharing of their knowledge and love of local flora and fauna. The Fairview Kiosk site is the former location of the Fairview Presbyterian Church. It was constructed in 1899 and moved to Okanagan Falls in 1929, where it still exists as part of the United Church in that community. Carleton and Buddie were instrumental in having the Historical Society acquire this property from the Trustees of the Kamloops-Okanagan Presbytery of the United Church of Canada in 1970. This was a special place for them and they devoted a tremendous amount of time and energy to improving and enjoying it. The stone cairn on the site was built by Carleton and the cross on the cairn is made from drilling steel, to reflect the heritage in the immediate area of many old mines and stamp mills.